What are indoor allergens and how to avoid them?

Indoor allergens are substances that exist in our indoor environment and cause allergies. Such are the mites, mold, dust, pet dander and pests like cockroaches or mice. The best way to avoid these allergens is washing and disinfecting the floors frequently.

Dust mites don't live in dust. They are microorganisms nearly invisible that live in fabrics and things like bedding, carpeting, old furniture, and stuffed animals. Old houses that preserve their antique furniture are the ones most likely to be over-populated with dust mites. If you suspect your bed mattress to have dust mites, then use bed covers and wash your bedding in hot water as often as every few days. In such houses, ideal would be to remove the carpets and the stuffed animals if you have any.

Another allergen met indoors is mold. It grows wherever there is excessive moist. It can cause severe respiratory problems. To protect yourself from the harmful effects, try to reduce the humidity by using a humidifier to control the level of moist in the rooms and use chlorine to disinfect the affected surfaces. Bleach kills the bacteria. 

Few animals, some insects, and rodents, can cause you an allergic reaction, and are a significant trigger for asthma.

Pets are not an allergen, but pet dander is. Pet dander is dead skin that falls out of most animals, including your pet and rodents. In most cases, you don’t have to get rid of your pet, but keeping it out of the bedroom will certainly improve the quality of the air you breathe. Washing all their bedding, as well as giving your beloved furry friend a bath every two months, can do wonders.

Disclaimer: We do not assume responsibility for the use of the provided information or its interpretation. Our efforts are towards providing current and reliable information; however these should not be considered, or used as a substitute for diagnosis or treatment.

Source: https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Education/Medical-Library/

Meet Our Physicians