Why Choose Cedars-Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital for Eyelid Repair Surgery?
The highly skilled surgeons at Cedars-Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital will be performing this procedure meant to improve your look and get rid of the possible discomfort associated with excess eyelid skin. At our health center, you will receive the best medical attention from the greatest facial surgeons in Los Angeles. They will make sure that your recovery will be shortened thanks to the way the eyelid repair is performed – minimally invasive and with great esthetic benefits.
Eyelid repair or blepharoplasty is a surgical procedure that removes excess skin, fat pockets and weakened muscle from the upper and/or lower eyelids, for a brighter, more restful, rejuvenated appearance. In most cases, blepharoplasty is considered cosmetic surgery, as it is not medically necessary. In some other cases, when sagging skin around the eyes and severe eyelid drooping cause obstruction to vision, blepharoplasty becomes the medical treatment of choice to help improve sight.
Eyelid surgery is commonly performed as an outpatient procedure, but some cases may require an overnight stay at the hospital.
It is a minimally invasive operation that requires local or general anesthesia and lasts 1 to 3 hours on average.
During surgery, the following steps are to be taken:
- You will check into the hospital and change into a hospital gown
- You will be brought to a surgical suite and placed under general or local anesthesia
- The surgeon will make precise preoperative markings of the incision sites
- When the surgery is performed on the upper eyelid, the incision will follow the natural lines and folds of the eyelid to make the scar virtually unnoticeable
- When the surgery is performed on the lower lid, an incision will be made right below the lash line, or on the inner part of the eyelid (transconjunctival incision – not visible on the outside).
- The skin will be separated from the underlying tissue and the excess fat, muscle and skin will be removed.
- The incision will be then closed using small stitches or surgical glue.
Blepharoplasty is a relatively simple surgical procedure that dramatically improves your look, virtually taking years off your appearance. It typically heals with nearly invisible scaring (if any) and the results are very satisfying and long-lasting.
Whether you need blepharoplasty for cosmetic or functional reasons, these are the main problems that it will successfully treat:
- sagging upper eyelid skin that creates unaesthetic and uncomfortable folds
- pain, discomfort or headaches caused by the forehead muscle constantly straining to lift the sagging skin of the eyelid
- lower eyelid drooping away from the eyeball and revealing the white below the iris
- puffy under-eye bags
- loose, excess skin and wrinkles on the upper and lower eyelids
- upper eyelid excess skin that blocks vision
- difficulty in wearing eyeglasses or contact lenses due to drooping or hooded eyelids
Following the procedure, your eyes may feel sore and some swelling is likely to occur around the incision areas. You may also experience light sensitivity, dry eyes and blurred vision (due to the ointment used for eye lubrication).
You will most likely be able to return to work within one to two weeks. Depending on the technology used and the extent of the procedure, it usually takes between two weeks to four months to see the full outcome of the surgery. The risks and complications involved in blepharoplasty are minor and may include:
Are you dissatisfied with the appearance of your eyelids so much that it seems to decrease your overall well-being and self-confidence? Does excess eyelid skin have an effect on your vision? Do you need a long-lasting solution to fight the effects of aging skin around the eyes? Blepharoplasty may be the right and effective procedure for you. Call us at 310.823.8911 to find professional answers to all your questions about eyelid repair and schedule a consultation today!