Why Choose Cedars-Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital for Hemorrhoids Treatment?
At Cedars-Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital, our experienced general surgeons are well versed in diagnosing and treating a wide range of conditions, including hemorrhoids. Upon analyzing each patient's condition, our specialists will choose the best treatment options available in order to alleviate symptoms.
Hemorrhoids are swollen or inflamed veins in the anal canal and the lower rectum. This condition can cause mild to severe pain, discomfort while sitting, itching, and rectal bleeding. Almost half of the adult population will suffer from hemorrhoids at some point during their lifetime and the occurrence rate becomes higher around the age of 50. There is no gender difference in this condition’s incidence as both men and women are equally affected.
There are several types of treatment that can alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids:
There are two types of hemorrhoids: internal and external. The difference between them is represented by their position in relation to the dentate line.
Internal Hemorrhoids »
External Hemorrhoids »
Symptoms of Hemorrhoids
There are several symptoms associated with the development of hemorrhoids such as:
- Pain in the anal area
- Continuous and severe itching
- Bowel movement accompanied by pain or bleeding
- Mucous discharge
Diagnosis of Hemorrhoids
Patients are required to get a physical examination so that the doctor can determine the severity of the condition. The anus and the surrounding area have to be visually examined by a specialist. A digital rectal examination is a frequent procedure performed directly by a doctor and involves no devices or sedation.
If the first visual examination confirms the presence of internal hemorrhoids, an anoscopy test may be required. This involves the inspection of the area with the insertion of a specialized tube that helps detect the hemorrhoids’ size and orientation.
Another examination used when dealing with hemorrhoids is the sigmoidoscopy which is performed with a fiber-optic camera that is inserted into the rectum to analyze hemorrhoid’s state.
Risk Factors for Hemorrhoids
There are several risk factors that can increase the chances of hemorrhoid formations:
Causes of Hemorrhoids
There are several potential causes that may favor the development of hemorrhoids:
Many hemorrhoid related problems can be treated using alternative measures:
- Diet: The best diet for people affected by hemorrhoids involves consuming a lot of fiber-rich products like whole-grain products, beans, fresh fruit, and vegetables. Drinking at least 8 glasses of water per day is also helpful to maintain proper hydration levels. These two elements will enhance digestion and help soften the stool. Fiber supplements like Fiber Co or Citrucel can also be helpful.
- Exercise: A moderate program of daily physical exercises will stimulate digestion and prevent constipation.
- Sitz baths: These baths involve warm water which will mitigate the irritation and reduce the itching caused by hemorrhoids.
- Natural treatment: There are multiple home remedies that can help patients alleviate the symptoms of hemorrhoids: coconut oil, Aloe Vera, tea tree oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice, witch hazel, and olive oil are some of the most effective ingredients that provide soothing relief.
The best ways to prevent hemorrhoids include:
- Constant water intake will regulate the stool’s consistency and ease defecation
- Regular workouts that prevent bowel movement problems like constipation
- A healthy and balanced diet rich in fibers
- Limited intake of alcohol and spicy foods that irritate the bowel
- Limited time spent sitting on the toilet
Do you suspect you might have hemorrhoids? You can always learn more about hemorrhoid related symptoms and how to treat and cure them by getting in touch with our highly-skilled specialists at Cedars-Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital.