Cedars Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital Alert COVID-19 (coronavirus)

INFORMATION FOR PATIENTS AND VISITORS 

LEARN MORE >>

What are the options available for the treatment of kidney failure?

While there is no cure for kidney failure, there are several treatment options available for people who struggle with it.

Kidney failure occurs when the kidneys are severely affected by a disease and only function at 15% or less of their normal capacity. Over 37 million people in the United States struggle with kidney disease. However, 90% of them do not know they have kidney disease, as they do not experience any symptoms because their disease is not serious. On the other hand, the remaining 10% are tremendously affected by kidney disease, which often leads to kidney failure. There are more than 660,000 people in the United States who have kidney failure and need to regularly undergo treatment for it.

The primary treatment option for people with kidney failure is dialysis, whose purpose is to help the body eliminate waste and extra fluid from the blood. Nevertheless, dialysis cannot fully replace functional kidneys, and people who undergo it usually need additional treatment. Another treatment for kidney failure is a kidney transplant, which entails replacing one or both of your kidneys with healthy ones. The kidney transplant may come from a living donor or from a deceased one. If you undergo a kidney transplant, you will experience significantly fewer symptoms or none at all. Over 100,000 Americans are on the waiting list for a kidney transplant at the moment.

Disclaimer: We do not assume responsibility for the use of the provided information or its interpretation. Our efforts are towards providing current and reliable information; however these should not be considered, or used as a substitute for diagnosis or treatment.

Source: https://www.cedars-sinai.edu/Education/Medical-Library/

Meet Our Physicians