7 Simple Ways to Kick-Start Your Fitness Journey
We've all been there before. Tossing some unhealthy habits and becoming healthier is on our list of resolutions, but somehow though, it's easier said than done. It's the same challenge that prevents us from reaching most goals: a combination of lack of motivation, forgetfulness, and procrastination. Fortunately, getting in shape and staying that way doesn't have to be overwhelming. In fact, the key is to start implementing into your everyday life easy and simple healthy habits.
Setting a clear goal may be difficult when we are constantly receiving mixed messages from health sources: "Have a low-carb diet." "Base your meals on starchy carbs, particularly the higher fiber varieties." "Switch to the carnivore diet." "Cut out meat." "Prepare more home-cooked meals." "Embark on a raw food diet journey." "Do yoga, but be gentle with your joints." "Do cardio, but don't lose muscle." "Lift, but don't go heavy."
For Long-Term Growth, You Need Vision and a Plan
If you want to make your goals a reality, then you must bring the action to your intentions. However, the reality of embarking on a fitness journey can be a challenge, you won't drop two jean sizes in one day neither will you lose fifty pounds in one month. Truth be told, the journey is never going to be easy - as a famous saying goes, "what doesn’t challenge you, doesn’t change you". However, for the absolute majority of people, the hardest part is the starting point.
If you’re at that point where you are ready to make some serious lifestyle changes, here are 7 steps that can help you start your fitness journey and stay motivated.
- Start with "Why". Getting fit does not always mean dropping weight. Maybe what you want is to optimize your health, have peace of mind, more energy and feel better about yourself. If you explore and set goals for why you want to get fit and what you want to accomplish, it will motivate you to stay healthy or power through a tough workout.
- Get Active Every Day. When you find activities that make you happy, you will be motivated to be active every day, even if it's just going for a walk. Even when you don't have time to work out you can find time to sneak in exercise. Moving your body will put you in a better place mentally and you will avoid undoing the progress of a workout routine. When you are too busy to go to the gym you can take only a few minutes for an at-home workout.
- Eat Real Food. Instead of spending lots of time counting carbs and calories, focus on how you fuel your body. If you are eating healthy foods with as few ingredients as possible, you're taking care of your body. Great examples of this are fruits, veggies, grains, lean and clean proteins.
- Stop Seeing Exercise as a Chore. Exercising and eating right should feel like you're giving yourself a reward, making you feel healthy and happy. Find forms of working out that you enjoy. The same goes for food, find healthy meals that you enjoy.
- Get the Rest You Need. This might be easier said than done because when life gets busy, sleep is often the first thing to go. But chronic sleep loss can negatively affect our health and immunity. Therefore, make sleep a priority.
- Drink Enough Water. One of the simplest ways to achieve your health goals is by drinking more water. Proper hydration is essential in digestion, workouts, keeping energy levels up, nourishing the skin and listing the benefits could go on and on. Carry a refillable water bottle as a reminder to drink more water, or keep one at your workplace.
- Enlist the Help of a Buddy. Finding an exercise partner can be a great motivator. Exercising with a buddy can help push you on days you're not feeling your best and make the experience more fun.
The best solution to get in shape and maintain a healthy lifestyle is the one that works for you. When you take on too many goals at once you feel overwhelmed, start thinking negatively and begin to resent the experience, so, instead, stick to the basics. Some tweaks to your routine can transform your entire fitness experience. And remember: You can actually enjoy being healthy by introducing the right balance into your life.
For People Struggling to Lose a Large Amount of Weight, Surgery Can Be an Effective Tool
In severely obese cases, diet and exercise training alone may not be enough to help you lose weight. The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery (ASMBS) adopted a new set of guidelines that recommend bariatric surgery according to BMI levels and associated obesity-related diseases.
People who are eligible for weight loss surgery include those who have:
- a history of failed attempts of losing weight with diet
- excess weight that may jeopardize the sustainability of your health system
- a body mass index of 40 or greater
- a body mass index of 35 to 40 and any obesity-associated co-morbidities including insulin resistance, sleep apnea, heart diseases, or joint disorders.
This surgery can help you lose large amounts of weight and lowers your risk of medical problems associated with obesity. It will reduce the amount of food you’re able to eat, reduce the body’s ability to absorb nutrients and calories from food, or both. It’s most successful when used as part of a long-term healthy lifestyle change, including diet and regular exercise.
Safe, Effective Weight Loss Solutions at Cedars Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital
At Cedars Sinai Marina del Rey Hospital, we partner with you to develop a lifelong plan for weight loss and healthy living, offering long-term support and medical expertise to help you reach ultimate weight loss success. We have a high level of competence in bariatric surgery and an expert aftercare procedure in place with an individual aftercare plan for each patient.
You can find more information about the different surgical techniques for treating obesity on our website. To find out whether you may be a candidate for bariatric surgery, please schedule your consultation today.